Translate

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Memoir of someone I am not

Disclaimer: I am not the musician in question. Though I believe I have accurately portrayed his thoughts and feelings, these sentences that fallow may not reflect his views. Nor are any of them things he actually said.


 People always ask, why become a rapper? Your a white man shooting for a black man profession. But I always tell them I just do what I enjoy doing. And then I usually ask if they think I rap poorly, not that I give a s***. they always respond with a "no no not at all", judgmental b*****ds. But I know I am a good rapper. How else could I have made it this far? 
 People are always talking about my authenticity. Like they know how it feels to experience the things I have. Like they could possibly understand the depth to which my past changed me. But there it is, isn't it? My ability to rap and my authenticity all stem from my past. The revolutionary white rapper has issues.
 Lets get it out of the way, yes, I never met my father. If I ever do it wont end well for him. And yes, my mother had me when she was only 15. A broken family is something I rap about often. It was and is a real problem, especially for me.
 My mother, due to her loneliness and her stressful life of poverty, turned to drugs and alcohol. Of course, despite the stupidity of it, and despite her distance from me, I went there for awhile to. It was a terrible idea then and it is still a terrible idea now, especially when I think of my daughter getting sucked into that sort of mess.  I rap about doing drugs a lot to.
 And as "white trash" I got picked on a lot as a kid. I did not fit in with the snobby white kids. The black kids were just as bad for awhile, before they released I was more like them then the middle class a******s.  Another thing that always bubbles to the surface from the past is the violence. I saw more than my far share of. And it changed me, made me stronger. The intense bullying made me violent, in the end.  After it changed me I began to fight back. But I still needed an outlet for all the built up pain and sorrow.
 Music ended up being that outlet. As it turned out, rapping was very good outlet. Dr. Dre took me up under his wing and that was that. I became an official rapper. Guessed who yet? But what is a name other than a title. A thing used to generalize. But either way I have three real names. One is Slim Shady, that one is a reflection of my past and personality. Eminem is the name I took when I became a rapper. My real name is Marshal Mathers III, way to nerdy sounding a name to be a rapper.
 Despite it all, I chased my dream. I did what many fail to do. I escaped the shackles of poverty, the pain of abandonment, and the vice of substance abuse thanks to my music. But these problems still exist. And until they don't, I will continue to inform the rest of the public in the only way I know how.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Aiden!!!
    You really did form that character and before you told that you were Eminem, I realized it. You have conveyed the message of how a white kid could also be a rapper and again justified the fact that nothing is impossible!
    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete